John W. Furst.
John W. Furst.
I just have read a not so bad blog post. However, when I checked out the about page I got turned off.
“This is an example of a WordPress page, you could edit this to put information about yourself or your site so readers know where you are coming from. You can create as many pages like this one or sub-pages as you like and manage all of your content inside of WordPress.”
Come on. You can do better than that.
And you should.
Anybody who is getting serious about putting your blog in their RSS reader or subscribe to your e-mail list will want to know more about you.
The about page is a great place to let your readers know who you are, what you can do for them, and why they should listen to you.
But first things first.
Some Ideas For An Entrepreneurial About Page
- You have a name, haven’t you. Use it. Introduce yourself with a short bio. … or introduce each team member who writes in the blog on a regular basis.
- Of course we want to see your photo(s). A nice photograph makes it more personal. You do not want to miss this step.
- What problems can you help the readers with?
- Why are you qualified to help them?
- Tell them how they can stay in touch with you. An optin form on the about page i snot such a bad idea. However, remember the good rule of thumb: “One page, one action.” Don’t offer too much.
- By the way: Have you ever thought of putting a personal video message (↑) on your about page? I guess, it’s time to do that.
Now go to work.
You don’t have to get it perfect.
5 % better than your competitors will do.
John W. Furst
P.S.: I just realize I should update the about page of my own as, well.
P.P.S.: In the context of legal issues with online publishing, you MUST NOT have an anonymous blog anyway. Pen names are fine, but readers, customers, and the government must be able to contact you based on the information on your website without having to go through hoops. (I’m not a lawyer. This is not legal advice!)
P.P.P.S.: Do you have anything to add? Any comments? I am sure you have. Let me know.
Comments are closed.
However, if you want to tell me something, drop me a line. Contact Us link in the footer.